Monday, March 14, 2011

Short video on Heart Rate Training

So if you are going to train long and hard, you might as well train smart.



I am posting this for several reasons. First off I feel it is my duty as a Polar Ambassador to educate everyone I can as to the benefits of heart rate training. How do I know the benefits you might ask? Because I am living them. I have raced mountain bikes since 2002. At which time I started with Polar computers. In 2005 I won the DINO Series Clydesdale division. I have since transitioned into Ironman competitions.  

So what has heart rate training done for me? With the help of a coach that under stands heart rate training and how to work an athlete within those zones. More recently it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my endurance. I can now run a conversational pace (zone 2) at or near a 7:30 mile. I can sustain this for a long time. I know that is not as fast as a lot of people out there, but remember I am 6'1" tall and I weigh 220 lbs. I came to the Ironman game late, age 40 now. When I started I weighed 270 pounds. Heart rate training has kept me from getting over trained. It has helped keep me from getting too oxidized due to over exertion.

So now with coach and my heart rate training, completing an Ironman is just a matter of time, but that is not good enough for me. I want to COMPETE in an Ironman and I think that I am getting a solid foundation set for the task.

So what can Heart Rate Training do for you, or more importantly what has it done for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment