Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Introduction and thanks you's

Wow this is something I NEVER thought that I would do. Write a blog post, kinda funny actually I never ever really kept a journal. So I would like to thank Polar for the opportunity to be one of their ambassadors. So let's begin.

Hello My name is Trevor Miller. I am a chiropractor in a small town in Indiana. My back story is I got fat, I got really fat. I did not want to look like the typical mid-westerner. I also did not want to be the doctor that told you to loose weight but then was obese myself. So I started mountain biking and I raced mountain bikes. I did a local state series and then after 5 years of racing I finally achieved my goal of winning the series in the Clydesdale division. At that time it was 1997 and I got down to 218 pounds at the lowest. I will be truthful and state that I was on a weight loss drug at the time.

My brother is an anesthesiologist and he told me how hard that was on my heart. I did not want to orphan my children or leave Kristine with 3 children and a dead husband. So I never refilled my script. So round one, I went from 250 lbs to 218lbs. I thought that I had it made and I could maintain where I was at that point in time so the drugs had done their job.

Slowly the weight came back. I was unmotivated to ride and race. I was however doing 2 Xterra series tri's every year. I liked them and really looked forward to doing them. I was trying to get Kristine interested in doing them, but she had no interest in woods riding. She told me that she might be interested in doing them on the road. So I wanted to do something that we could both do and travel together.

So the year is 2010, I now weigh close to 270 pounds. I am miserable. I am lethargic. I am depressed. I am not a nice person. I have been seeing a functional medicine doctor off and on now for a few years and taking the band-aid approach to my health. Then Kristine had had enough. She started reading the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. She started to implement healthy nutrition into our family life and it was paying dividends. I had been running, lifting weights (bulking up) and doing some cycling. But the nutrition started to slim me down. By April Kristine had hired a tri coach and suggested that I talk to him. At this time I was using some computer software to do my training plans and was working out 2 to 3 hours everyday and doing bricks everyday to every other day. Coach said I was working to hard and that he does heart rate training. We talked for a little bit longer and I decided to join with coach.

Coach used my logs and several tests from my Polar heart rate monitor to establish my heart rate zones, resting heart rate, and max heart rate. From there we started to build A LOT of base. My first marathon was a 4:18 and I had NO training from coach. My second marathon was the Rock n Roll Arizona Marathon and I scored a sub 4 hour marathon, talk about happy. On the way to that sub 4 hour marathon I also competed in my first half Ironman in Cancun. It was completed in under 5:30. My run is the weak link. I fell apart. Nutrition and improper form tore me down. We have now started my journey into natural and forefoot running to strengthen my weakness.

So at my core I am a triathlete, I may be a fat Tri Guy, but none the less. I have my eyes set on Kona. So now with guidance from Kristine, Coach Kline, and a small circle of friends my quest for Kona begins in earnest this year. I will be scheduling some sprints and OD tri's, with Eagleman in June and Louisville in August. Keep your fingers crossed and I will keep on training.

So here I am, with the abbreviated journey above. From 270 pounds down to 215 as of today and at 17 percent body fat. I still need to work on run form, but I am getting there. Coach says for every 10 pounds I loose it translates roughly into 1 minute per mile faster. I think I have 10 or 15 more to give. Maybe with more eye watching I will try harder, we'll see. But I really have all the motivation I need right here at home :-)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea!

    You're on the right path! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and knock down each goal until you make your dreams come true.

    Best of luck! I look forward to following along as you chronicle your journey.

    ~felog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor - what an amazing story! I've been talking with you and Kristine all this time and had no idea how amazing your story was. This is fantastic.

    I'm so happy you started a blog, as I look forward to reading much more of your journey. Congrats on your role as a polar ambassador - sounds like they picked the right person!

    - Maria (maslife)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I read your comments the more I am amazed. Everything will fall into place, one foot in front of the other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope, if nothing else the blog is therapy haha!!!

    ReplyDelete